Sunday, August 12, 2007

Time, omniscience

Well, I saw one aspect of what omniscience is about several years ago when one of my cats was in my room with me and the door was almost completely shut, but not latched. The cat wanted to get out but there wasn't enough of a crack to get a paw in to pull it open. Now, cats just don't like closed doors, so I knew that just as one cat was wanting to get out, it wouldn't be long before another would want to get in and push the door open. Sure enough, that's just what happened. One of the aspects of omniscience is knowing the character of things or people so well that it enables you to tell what will happen.

I thought of another aspect of omniscience, or rather more of being outside of time, as I'm currently re-reading a book I've read many times. Obviously, I know what happens, but it's more than that. As I'm reading, I'm pulled into the world of the book, and while I am particularly conscious of the part I'm currently on, there's also an awareness of the parts that are coming and the book as a whole. It's almost as if all the moments in the book exist simultaneously in my mind (especially funny since the book itself takes place in two different time periods). That must be something like how it feels to exist outside of Time.

2 comments:

Campbell said...

Are you reading "Federation" ? Your comment about two time periods made me think of it. I also happen to be re-reading it myself at the moment.

hurshy said...

Not at the moment... can I borrow it when you're done?