Sunday, August 5, 2007

Can't?

Perhaps we all overuse the word can't.

"I can't go to dinner with you tonight, I have plans." Really it's not that you CAN'T, it's that your other plan is a priority to you, or your sense of following through on a commitment you've made to someone else. There are some things I really can't do. I can't become a cat, I can't go through the looking-glass to wonderland, I can't be in my house and in Paris simultaneously. But how many things do we say we can't do when what we really mean is that it's not worth it to us to make the sacrifices necessary in order to do something? It's not always a bad thing to not make those sacrifices - like keeping a prior engagement - but it is a misuse of the word can't. Figure out what's really "can't" and what's a question of priority. Then good luck figuring out your priorities...

No comments: